Pages

Monday, February 25, 2013

Ultimate Cheesecake Recipe!


The best cheesecake known to man!
 Cheesecake is quite possibly the best dessert on this earth.  When eating healthy most people avoid desserts like this but there is a healthy way to make just about anything your heart desires.  Where there is a will there is a way.  This recipe is the basic recipe that I make all of my cheesecakes from.  I found a few online that I liked and basically experimented until I found a taste that I loved.  You can experiment with it and change things up and I encourage you to do so.  Try adding more yogurt or maybe you like it creamier and would like to double the cream cheese.  Baking times are somewhat consistant when you change up the recipe but it you end up changing it drastically make sure you watch it in the oven every once in a while.



Cheesecake Ingredients (batter): The brands I use are in parenthesis

1 9 inch Spring Form Pan (like this one)
12oz Fat Free Cream Cheese (Philadelphia)
16oz Fat Free Greek Yogurt (Chobani)
1/2 cup 0 Calorie Sweetener (Stevia in the Raw)
2 scoops Vanilla Casein Protein (Optimum Nutrition Vanilla Casein)
1/2 cup Fat Free milk (Horizon Organic)
1 Splash of vanilla extract

(Macros: Protein 151g / Carbs - 45g / Fat 5g / Total Calories w/o crust = 829)

If you do not use the brands I use it is not a big deal.  They are brands that are readily available to me and fit well with my macros. If you switch brands or add/take away from the ingredient list make sure you modify the macros/calories accordingly.




This is what my matter looks like after step 3.  It will be thick and creamy.

Directions: (preheat oven to 350F)
1. Mix cream cheese and 0 calorie sweetener until texture is creamy.  Start slow and scrape the bowl when necessary.
2. Mix in everything else except the eggs.  Mix for about 2-3 minutes, scraping the bowl when necessary.
3. Add 1 egg and mix on low until the egg is distributed throughout the mix.  Usually about 1 min.
4. Put in oven for 30min @ 350F and then turn down to 200F for 50 min.  Take out and let cool.  Place in refrigerator overnight.
5. Eat!



This is a red velvet cheesecake I made.  It turned out great!  I used red velvet cake mix with one egg and some water/oil for the base.  After that was baked I let it fully cool and poured my cheesecake mix in and baked again.

For crust:
I usually use cereal for this but I have also used cake mix.  You can completely change your cheesecake by just changing the crust.  If I am using cereal I typically take 3 cups of the cereal (honey nut cheerios, kashi etc.) and put it in a Ziploc bag.  I smash it until it breaks into real small pieces.  You don’t want it too fine.  Then I add Fat Free Greek yogurt until I get a crumby dough like consistency.  The mix should still be relatively dry.  I don’t think I have had to add more than 1-2 oz of Greek yogurt to any crust.  Then I spread it evenly in the bottom of a spring form pan.  The amount of yogurt used will vary with the cereal used.  If you want to use cake mix just follow the recipe for the cake.  If using cereal, bake the crust by itself for 15-20 min or until it starts browning on the edges.  Then let it completely cool before adding the cheesecake mixture.


The best cheesecake in the world goes well with fresh fruit!  This same type of cheesecake at the Cheesecake factory is around 800-900 calories.  You can have 6 slices of my cheesecake for the same amount of calories!

Blueberries are always a good addition to a cheescake.

Modifications:
You can use chocolate protein for a chocolate cheesecake, you can use flavored Greek Yogurt for a fruity cheesecake or you can make a big multi-layer cheese cake (I'm doing this next).  This is the basic recipe I follow and then experiment from.  I would suggest you follow this recipe first and once you approve of the taste, you start tweaking it.